Monday, March 22, 2010

Cooking pasta correctly with sauce

Just recently I have finally admitted that I have been cooking pasta wrong for the past 10 or so years. I recently threw a dinner party for a party for about 8 and figured that I give them something special and cook pasta the correct way.  It turned out to be magic. How do you cook pasta correctly? Well here is what I have been told.

1. Boil water- Lots of it. (Big pot 3/4 full). 
2. Add hand full of salt, or enough salt for the water to taste like a well salted soup. ( I use sea salt, just because its abundant here).
3. Boil Pasta till it is 90% cooked.
4. Grab pasta out of pot with strainer either via slotted spoon, or hand held strainer. Do not throw away pasta water!!!!!!!!!
5. Add pasta to sauce (typically a marinara).
6. Cook pasta in sauce, add ladel of pasta water, and fininsh with fresh herbs.
7. Serve immediately

I never understood why I cooked pasta wrong for so many years. Perhaps its all the media from TV and magazines or the way restaurants cook it. I was told a long time ago the correct way to cook it, but I resisted it like the plague. I guess if I did it that way and found it was better, then I would have to admit that I have been doing it wrong for so many years.

I caution that if you know the difference between al dente pasta and cooked pasta, YOU HAVE TO COOK IT THIS WAY.  It takes the dish to another level.

If you don't believe me. This is how they cook it in Italy.

Chow :)
You're Doing it all Wrong

Mario Batali

Check out the vids!

No comments:

Post a Comment