Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cuisine in General

So over the years I had the opportunity to cook at restaurants featuring American, Italian and French.
People often ask me what I like cooking the most and every time I have a difficult time answering that question. Reasoning being, I don't cook a particular type of food, but rather I focus on what is accessible and special to the region. For example  Okinawan  sweet potatoes are abundant and grow locally in Hawaii (where I am at), so recently I have been making Okinawan Sweet Potato Gnocchi. While the technique may be Italian, the Okinawan Sweet Potato is far from it.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that often times the most important or coolest part of a cuisine is not so much its dishes, but the techniques that the dishes offer for us to create, re interpret and define the food that is around us.

This is my first blog......so bare with me....I hope you'll find it worth reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment